Wednesday, April 21, 2010

One Piece Ch 582 - Luffy and Ace

*CAUTION SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!*
Review

I must say, this cheerful colourspread is a nice change of pace from what we've been seeing recently. But on to the actual chapter. So we now know that two weeks have past since the war and the marines are becoming less lenient as more pirate crews attempt to cross the Grand Line. This effect mirrors the effect of Gol D. Roger's death in a way as again pirate crews have become inspired to search for One Piece once again. The next page is a quick flashback of Ivakov leaving Law's ship basically as his work is done. I must say, Ivankov has grown on me so I'm a little disappointed to see him leave but I really want to see him arrive on Momorio island and meet Sanji.


Back to the present, Luffy, Jimbei, Hancock and Law's crew have docked on Amazon Lily. And Luffy's face of anguish is ever present yet again. I felt this face was very well deserving considering what he's going through at the moment. Boa seems more relieved that anything to hear that Luffy's alive more than anything. Now I felt that these two pages or so were not really needed in the chapter and made it a little more slow paced. Elder Nyon was basically explaining what we and the characters already knew so I didn't feel those panels were that necessary. However Luffy's anguished cries were really needed here as we can finally see him grieve (even if he is risking his life at the same time). The writing was slightly hard to read here but I guess it was all used for effect so I can understand that. Now when Jimbei steps in and confirms that Ace actually is dead, that was a heart breaking scene. But Luffy's facial expression is slightly too comical to mimic the pain he really is in.


And this scene of tears leads us to our next flashback, taking place 10 years ago. It's after Shanks leaves Fuschia as Luffy is wearing his hat and has his scar, and he's walking along with Garp to meet... Dadan!! A person we've all been waiting to meet. And she's a woman! Not only that but Luffy and Ace's foster mother!!! What a twist! Finally we're able to meet her! And before I finish this review I have to comment on this last page. Ace and Luffy's first meeting. Ace is looking badass and beautifully drawn and I'm really intrigued as to their back story!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Asia Engineer - Eternal Pose (Short)

About Me

My Photo
Animegal9215
I'm a full-time student and part-time reviewer of anime and manga. I try to review as much as I can but sometimes it's hard to because life catches up with me. If you have any requests of any anime/manga/video games/fanart that you would like reviewed, please send me a message and I'll review them as soon as possible!! ^_^
View my complete profile

Hit Count

free counters